This breathtaking convex shaped coin portraits a dark and stormy night, the wrath of the skies can be both fearsome and captivating to curious onlookers,
even animal ones. This glow-in-the-dark concave coin goes underground for a rare storm-viewing experience alongside a skulk of curious fox cubs, whose tunnel-shaped habitat provides an unusual vantage point for witnessing Mother Nature’s fury.
- a new series of glow-in-the-dark, concave-shaped coins that offer a storm-viewing experience from deep inside the habitats of select Canadian wildlife.
- a unique shape, the concave reverse serves a special purpose by re-creating the view from within the underground tunnel, in order to provide a more immersive viewing experience.
- are brought to life by selective colour that extends into the sky, where a jagged lightning bolt heightens the dramatic tension in this scene. The coin’s own silver surface also adds to the story, like light suddenly flashing across the engraved roots and rocks that line the den.
- the colour-and-engraved underground view, the integrated use of photoluminescent technology allows for a second viewing experience—this time in the dark, where the scene mimics
- our own above-ground view of an intense flash of lightning.
- A superbly crafted addition to any collection, the complex design is a fine example of visual storytelling, and is sure to appeal to animal- and nature-lovers alike!
The reverse design by Derek Wicks captures the mesmerizing nature and raw intensity of a thunderstorm, as
seen from a fox’s perspective. For a more immersive viewing experience, the concave shape presents a
tunnel-like view of the nighttime storm from inside an underground burrow. Here, the luminous shine of the
coin’s silver surface mimics the effect of flash illumination across the entrance of the fox den, which is lined
with an engraved tangle of underground roots and rocks. The reactions of four colourful fox cubs mirror our
own mixed sense of awe and apprehension: three curious cubs have their backs turned to the viewer as they
watch a forked lightning bolt light up the deep hued sky, while a fourth seemingly shrinks away from the
scene. The integrated use of glow-in-the-dark technology also allows for an alternate view of this stormy night
— this time viewed in the dark, where photoluminescence stands in for the lightning’s electrified glow.
The reverse also includes the engraved word “CANADA”, the face value “50 DOLLARS” and the year, “2018”.
The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt
|Weight (g)||157.6 g (5.56 oz)|
|Presentation case (box)||Yes|